Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Book Review -- The Monstrumologist

The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1)The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a horror book for teens, plain and simple. Horror is not my favorite genre, but I tore through this book and could not put it down. The action was set in 1880's New England, and that made the horror more palpable to me, I guess. There was a bit of history slant towards the story. The horror elements were blood and guts, which is probably why I could stand it, too (amazingly, my most tolerable type of horror. I know...this statement seems ridiculous even as I type it).

I loved the author's use of language here. It was rich. It was precise. It was a joy to read. The characters were well-fleshed out and vivid. I read The 5th Wave by Yancey several years ago and while I enjoyed that book, I thought the writing was better in this one.

Since this is a YA book, I have several cautions (because I'm a 6th grade teacher and a parent) -- There is violence in this book. Several characters die horrible deaths. There are monsters in this book, and they are vividly described. Several other "icky" moments are just downright gross. I say all that to alert the parents and teachers out there that your younger YAs may not fare too well with this book. It depends on their gross-out tolerance. I wouldn't recommend this to my gentler students in 6th grade. Some of the more mature kids would do fine. So, I give this a 13+ recommendation but with caveats. There's virtually no bad language or inappropriate physical situations, so that's not a concern. Just a lot of violence alongside blood and guts. If you've got a weak stomach, beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment